Echo Canyon
August 2nd, 2008
Distance: 5 miles total (2.5 miles to the drop in point for Echo Canyon. Then after exiting the canyon section its 2 miles back to the trail head. .5 miles for the slot.)
Average Hiking Time: 5 hours Equipment: 60' rope, webbing, helmet, harness, rappel device, map, dry bag and wetsuit.
Technical: About 6 short rappels, depending on water levels some can be down-climbed. A hand-line can be helpful when down-climbing.
On the morning of August first Michelle and I headed up for Zion's to get our (seven-Michelle, Mike, me, Dave, Chamaine, Cora, Kate) permits for Orderville Canyon. There was only three permits left, so we decided to try Echo. Well, the Park only lets SIX people that know each other in Echo at a time. With much scheming we managed to obtain seven permits (Dun, dun, dun...), and headed for the canyon carefully evading the law (aka Park Rangers). We started up the East Rim Trail, a steep two mile trek. Michelle decided that we would incorporate an aerobic exercise into the hike, so she led the group at full speed. We weren't really sure where we were going, eventually we found an entrance to the canyon. There were multiple short repels and some NASTY pools to swim. There is a rumor that I knocked Mike into the water, but I think it may have been the other way around. The most interesting repel was a keeper that we repelled into then had to climb up a log onto a "saddle", and finally Mike lowered us down the last ledge. The photocopy of the directions that I was carrying was not as helpful as I had hoped it would be. It said the canyon had 4-5 repels. We started to get worried when we got to about the 12th repel and it was nearing 6:00 PM! Michelle and Chamaine started to run once we got past the final repel. The canyon finally started to open up a little. Dave (aka Pa or Number 7) found a way out that prevented us from swimming a few more times. What a crazy adventure!






1 comment:
THAT WAS A BLAST! CANT WAIT TO GO AGAIN. I DON'T THINK I HAVE LAUGHED SO HARD FOR SUCH A LONG TIME UNTIL YOU AND MIKE FELL INTO THE WATER THAT WAS PRICELESS. TO BAD MY CAMERA WASNT OUT AND WORKING
Post a Comment